Saturday, June 4, 2011

MY DAD (27 February 1936 - 4 June 2011)


My father, Dr John Chong Yean Chiong, passed away at 3 am this morning. He fought a long and valiant battle against prostate cancer. In his last days, he succumbed to urosepsis. He leaves behind his loving wife, Aileen Chong, four children (myself, Jacqueline, John and James) and 10 grandchildren aged 5 months to 21 years.

I brought my father to SGH on 27 May 2011 (coincidentally it was my birthday) for emergency treatment. Early this week, he seemed to stabilise. His blood pressure and temperature returned to normal. So on 2 June 2011, I decided to take the risk and join my family to attend my church camp being held in KL over the weekend.

But yesterday 3 June 2011, while I was in KL at the church camp with my family, I received a telephone call at 63o pm from my mother that my father's condition had worsen and he might only have a few hours left. I immediately rushed to KLIA to catch the next flight back to Singapore. On the way back to Singapore, I regretted leaving Singapore and prayed that my dad would not go before I reach him. I arrived at SGH just after midnight. He passed on at about 3am this morning. I thank God I was able to make it before he went. Myself, my mom, sister, brother and uncle were at his bedside till the end.

I also thank God that his suffering is over and he is now in a better place.

"Do not be afraid, I am with you
I have called you each by name
Come and follow Me
I will bring you home
I love you and you are mine"


http://www.lyricsoncall.com/lyrics/david-haas/you-are-mine-lyrics.html (lyrics probably inspired by Isaiah 43:1)

Click here and scroll all the way down this post for the last photo taken of of my father: http://jeannettechongaruldoss.blogspot.com/2011/05/normal-0-false-false-false-en-sg-zh-cn.html

3 comments:

  1. Jeannette: Our deepest condolences. Thanks for the posting.
    Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry, Jeanette about the passing of Uncle John. Deepest condolences. I learned about it from my sister today. Please convey my heartfelt condolences to Aunty Aileen, Jacqueline, James and John.

    John 11:25-26 "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die".

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete